This safari takes you to the Volcanoes National park which offers the perfect inhabitant for mountain gorillas found in northern Rwanda on the border with Uganda. You will fly from Kigali to Musanze, Here you will visit Fossey Museum and next day start your amazing expedition of Gorilla Tracking and returning the third back to Kigali by air.
- Visit to the Volcanoes National Park.
- Tracking of Mountain Gorillas.
- Visit to Dian Fossey Museum
What is included in the tour
- Use of a Safari 4WD land cruiser.
- Gorilla permit
- Domestic scheduled flights
- All park entrance fees to include government taxes.
- Service of an English-speaking professional driver/guide.
- Complimentary return airport transfers in case you desire after the trip
- Bottled water whilst on safari
- Start and end in Kigali.
What is NOT included in the tour
- International flights and visas.
- Items of a personal nature.
Day 1: Fly To Musanze.
This morning you will be picked up from either your Hotel/Home in Kigali and be transferred to Kigali International Airport or upon arrival at Kigali International airport & met by Akagera Aviation for your flight to Musanze. Upon landing you will be met by Lodge/Camp safari vehicle which will take you to the Lodge/Camp. On your way you will visit the Dian Fossey Museum.
Dian Fossey was an American primatologist and conservationist known for undertaking an extensive study of mountain gorilla groups from 1966 until her 1985 murder. She studied them daily in the mountain forests of Rwanda, initially encouraged to work there by paleoanthropologist Louis Leakey. The gorilla museum is an important conservation progress in Rwanda that offers opportunity for travellers to explore the history of gorilla conservation success and the team is doing its best to ensure that these endangered species are well protected
Afterwards You will continue to the lodge arriving in time for lunch. Check in, Enjoy your lunch & Relax. Dinner & Over Night at the Lodge/ Camp of choice
Bordering the Democratic Republic of Congo in Rwanda, the Volcanoes National Park is best known as a sanctuary for the region’s rare mountain gorillas. Visitors flock here to experience a face to face encounter with these intriguing creatures. The park is set high on the jungle-covered slopes of the volcanic Virunga Mountains. Highly regulated treks through the reserve allow visitors to spend an hour at a time with these incredible primates in their natural habitat. While the gorilla’s are without a doubt the main drawcard, visitors can also look forward to exploring a network of scenic hiking trails, visiting the tomb of the world-famous Dian Fossey and the Karisoke Research Centre, and enjoying a beautiful day hike to the crater lake on Mount Bisoke.
Day 2: TRACK THE GORILLAS
After a good night restful sleep ,breakfast and with your packed lunch You will be taken to the briefing point where you will be briefed about Gorillas, DO'S & DONT'S & about your the Tracking. All this will be done by the Wildlife Guides & Rangers. After the mini sessions and knowing your tracking group you will be dropped at the tracking starting point & will depart for your tracking accompanied by the Wildlife Rangers & Guide. Its advisable to take a Porter who will assist with carrying your items.(also its a way of promoting the community).After Tracking & spending time with the Gorillas you will head back to the briefing point whereby you will be awarded your Tracking certificates. You will then be taken back to your lodge/camp. Dinner & Overnight.
Uganda Gorilla tracking guidelines & rules:
- No smoking is allowed while with the gorilla premises or within a distance of 200 meters from the gorillas.
- Keep a distance of 7 meters (21 feet) from the Gorilla.
- Do not use flash when taking photos as they may scare & agitate the Gorillas.
- Silence should be maintained at all time - Do not make loud noises.
- In case of Flu, communicable diseases or even Diarhea or you will not be permitted to Track.
- Always stay in a tight group while with the gorillas and do not surround the Gorillas while meeting them.
- Persons aged below 15 years are not allowed to do gorilla tracking.
- All covid protocals should be followed. Always have your mask on.
What to carry:
- Wear comfortable hiking shoes or closed boots suitable for steep muddy slopes
- Carry a packed lunch and enough drinking water.
- Don’t forget to carry rain gear, weather gloves, sunscreen lotion and a hat as the Bwindi has unpredictable weather.
- Carry with you insect repellent.
- You can carry photo camera though using flashlight is not allowed in use during the encounter with Gorillas.
Day 3: Golden Monkey Tracking & Fly back to Kigali international airport.
After a very early breakfast you will be picked and be taken to the park headquarter briefing on Golden Monkey Tracking. You will enjoy the morning expedition coming back to the lodge in time for early lunch & check. You will be transferred to Musanze Airstrip for your out bound flight to Kigali.
Tiloreza Volcanoes Ecolodge.
- located in Musanze and serves as an ideal base on which to explore the Volcanoes National Park. The lodge offers 13 bedrooms and a VIP cottage, all comfortably furnished and feature modern amenities. To enhance the experience, guests can make use of the onsite restaurant, pool, traditional sauna and a steam sauna.
The Mountain Gorilla View Lodge
- perfectly situated for gorilla tracking in Rwanda. The 30 individual cottages have been built on 4 acres of land on the slopes of Mt Sabinyo. The stone and thatch cottages each have en-suite facilities, a small lounge with a fire place and a private veranda. The cottages are of a good size and are well positioned to give them privacy from each other. Being at altitude, it can get cold therefore each cottage has a fireplace in the room. Located very close (about 15 minutes) from the main headquarters of Rwanda's Volcanoes National Park (Parc National de Volcans), this is a very handy base from which to explore the area and organise treks to see the Golden monkeys and, of course, the mountain gorillas. This is a great location with superb views of the volcanoes.
Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge.
- Set on the edge of the Parc National des Volcans in a lush green property of 11 hectares, Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge enjoys fabulous and dramatic views of the surrounding volcanoes. All guest cottages are discretely situated in the folds of the hills and amongst the verdant vegetation of the Sabyinyo property. Each beautifully appointed ensuite cottage, with its country-chic style and open log fires, is a perfect haven of warmth and luxury. The main lodge building is designed with the guest in mind. Assorted seating areas in the main lounge, reception and entertainment room provide for intimate privacy, or the opportunity to meet other guests, and open-log fires throughout create a luxuriously warm and inviting atmosphere.