This Safari takes you to Nyungwe National park where you will track the Chimpanzee and enjoy a canopy walk as you site colobus. On your way you will stop over at Nyanza and visit the Palace & Ethnographic Museum- Nyanza was the Capital of the Kingdom of Rwanda. You will also visit Lake Kivu Rwanda Largest Lake and 6th in the world here you will have boat cruise on Lake Kivu and visit different Islands. Hike up to the top of the serene Napoleon Island for an outstanding view of Lake Kivu and surrounding islands.
What is included in the tour
- Use of a Safari 4WD vehicle
- Chimpanzee & canopy walk permits
- All hikes
- Nyanza Kings Palace
- 2 Nights accommodation at Nyungwe.
- 1 Night accommodation at Lake Kivu
– All park entrance fees to include government taxes.
– Service of an experienced Driver/Guide.
– Bottled water whilst on the journey.
What is NOT included in the tour
- Travel Insurance.
- Tips & Souvenirs
- Personal Expenses.
- Pre/Post Tour accommoadation.
- Extra meals.
Day 1: Depart to Nyungwe National Park.
Today you will be picked up from the airport/Hotel or residence in Kigali and start your drive to Nyungwe National Park. On your way you will stop at Nyanza which was home of the capital of Rwanda Kingdom - In olden times, Nyanza was the heart of Rwanda. According to oral tradition, it was the site of battles and power struggles. The nearby Ethnographic Museum in Huye houses one of Africa’s finest ethnographic collections, and makes a good combination for your tour with the King’s Palace. After tour & lunch (own cost) continue to Nyungwe arriving later inthe afternoon. Dinner & Over Night at your Lodge of choice.
Day 2: Track Chimpanzee.
Gear up this morning for a trek & tracking activities . After breakfast you will be taken to the briefing point where you will be told about the Chimpanzee, the DO'S & DONT'S . After all this with a guide & Rangers you will start your tracking. Ones you meet the Chimpanzees families you will be allowed 1 hour with them. This will include taking photos. Please note use of camera flash is prohibited as this will agitate or scare the animal.
Day 3: Isumo Water Fall & Canopy Walk.
This morning you depart for a hike - You will follow the Isumo trail which will lead you to steep rainforest ravines and to top it off, the biggest waterfall in the Nyungwe National Park. isumo is waterfall in Kinyarwanda. At roughly 17 m in height, it is even more impressive for the force with which it shoots through a narrow gap into a stunning amphitheater, lined with fluttering fronds of ferns, flowers and lianas, all thriving in the mist zone of the fall. There are caves in the overhanging cliffs, and a rainbow in the spray on sunny days.
Have lunch then after a bit of relaxation depart for the Canopy walk. This trip will allow you see the forest from above you will also spot some of the parks inhabitant. Later drive to Kivu. Over Night at lodge.
Nyungwe Forest National Park still contains the montane rainforest in East Africa. The suspended canopy walk, offering a bird’s eye view into the dense forest.
Day 4: Lake Kivu
Today is reserved to discovering Lake Kivu. You will start with cruising on the Lake Kivu whereby you will be able to see different Islands. you will finish with a hike on Napoleon Island whereby you will get to have a splendid view of Kivu and neighbouring islands. After all this adventure you will start your journey back to Kigali. You will dropped at the airport/hotel/Home.
Emeraude Kivu Resort
- A good choice of accommodation for those who visit Nyungwe Forest National Park is the family run Emeraude Kivu Resort at Kamembe, near Cyangugu. (About 45 min from the Gisakura area). The hotel is on the top of a hill from where there is a panoramic view over Lake Kivu. Each of the 8 rooms has en-suite facilities and a private balcony with a lake view. The service is of high quality and the food is excellent. (April 2017 inspection).
Nyungwe Top view hill hotel
- is the elegant place; a heaven on earth, idyllically situated on top of one of the hills of Nyungwe forest area; the largest single forest block in East Africa and the biggest water reservoir for Rwanda. Nyungwe Top view hill hotel offers most beautiful and tranquil accommodation facility comprises of 12 self contained with 4 twin and 8 queen size bed apartments having a sitting room with a fire place to warm you up and a balcony with picturesque view of sunrise or sunset from all the rooms including incomparable view of part of the Nyungwe National Park, Kahuzi Biega National Park, Tea plantations, Lake Kivu, the volcanoes and Idjwi Island right from the top of the hill.
- offers pet-friendly accommodation in Kigali. The resort has a barbecue and views of the lake, and guests can enjoy a meal at the restaurant or a drink at the bar. Free private parking is available on site. Some rooms include a seating area for your convenience. A terrace or balcony are featured in certain rooms. Car hire is available at this resort and the area is popular for hiking.
- A new Lodge on the shores of Lake Kivu, a beautiful lake of turquoise blue, among the most prestigious of Africa. This Lodge has five cabins and a restaurant built entirely of wood. You will enjoy a breathtaking view of the lake and the surrounding islands from all 7 rooms. All rooms offer a high standard of comfort. They are equipped with television, wi-fi, mini fridge, bath / shower. From the VIP cabin, you can see the fiery crater of the Nyiragongo volcano in Congo.